UML have elected three Dalit women namely Ramrati Ram, Sita Sundas and Nira Jairu in the central executive committee of the party through 9th General Assembly which was held in Kathmandu in Ashar 2071. This is for the time that the Dalit women are having the representation.
Although the party had come up with the inclusion policies in 2065 for the reservation to the Dalit and the Madhesi, the number of Dalit women representation in the executive committee was zero.
In last Year (Asadh) FEDO had submitted memorandum to the chair Jhalanath Khanal with the seven agendas enlisted for having the representation of Dalit women for at least 2 for targeting the 9th General Assembly.
In this occasion, the chair Khanal made the commitment to represent at least two Dalit women in the party though they were unsuccessful to have their representation in the past years.
The memorandum of the priority agendas that was submitted by FEDO to Jhalanath Khanal are enlisted below:
• In the upcoming party’s General Assembly, there should be separate reservation provision for the Dalit Women and at least 5 seats needs to be ensured in the central committee.
• In the party’s 9th General Assembly, declaration should be done for the highest number of nominees for the central member and the policies needs to be proceeded in order to make the campaign successful.
• In the party’s 9th General Assembly, there should be the declaration of nominee’s list in which the proportionate representation of Dalit women among 33% and 50% nomination of Dalit women in Dalit’s proportionate seat needs to be ensured.
• In the party’s General Assembly, there should be separate reservation for the Dalit community and among which 50 % of nominations needs to be ensured for Dalit women.
• In all structure of the party, the meaningful participation of Dalit women in the decision making level needs to be ensured.
• The policies and the programs of the party needs to be Dalit and Women Friendly. Moreover Dalit women.
• The proportionate representation of Dalit women needs to be ensured in party’s wings.
Information and Communication Officer
Feminist Dalit Organization (FEDO)